The Sir Samuel Way Building was originally Moore's Department Store which was built in 1916. The design was closely worked together by its owner Charles Moore and Adelaide architects Garlick and Jackman, engineer Herbert Jenkinson from the South Australian Reinforced Concrete Company (The facade of the building is a great example of early reinforced concrete constuction).
The whole concept including the central staircase (designed by English architect William Lucas) was like a Paris department store.
On 2nd March 1948 Moore's Department Store was extensively damaged by fire but was rebuilt to its present glory continually enjoying many years of retail success.
In 1979 the store was sold to the South Australian Superannuation Fund Investment Trust and in 1983 the building was developed from a department store to an extensive law courts building.
The building was renamed the "Sir Samuel Way Building" after Sir Samual Way the longest serving Chief Justice of South Australia, it was officially opened at the time by the Governor Of South Australia, Sir Donald Dunstan.
The Samual Way Building houses ten criminal courtrooms, sixteen civil courtrooms, chambers, conference rooms, library and administration areas.
The buildings location is at 241-259 Victoria Square Adelaide.
All detail sourced from Australian Heritage Database.
Camera: Nikon D700
Lens: AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
Ref: Cat No: A0477PB
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Photographer: Copyright John Lloyd